Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Chinese style rice and ground meat

A Chinese frustration and a total improvisation of a Chinese-inspired dish...






Last weekend, my friend and I went to the Chinatown of Paris for shopping. I have some favorite places for Asian kitchen ingredients.
There is also my favorite Chinese bakery to the number 62 of Choisy Street. It is one of the most ancients Asian Bakery in Paris, held by the same family for a long long time. Specifically opened since 1976. 

This Pocket Bakery is a real torture for the taste buds. You just want to taste all specialities!  There you find some delicious fried or steamed stuffed buns as Banh Bao or Chinese patties stuffed with meat and Curry, Chinese eggs custard tarts, some cakes filled with sweet soybean paste and full of other pastries that I can't quote.

I’ve been first introduce to the Chinese steamed cake Ma Lai Go in this bakery and since that day this cake became a part of my culinary repertoire as  the carrot cake or "the Cake of Sunday". 

A few meters from the Chinese Bakery there is an Asian supermarket, The Paris Store offers a wide range of Asian and Oriental products and ustensils.I go there at least once a year.

After our shopping we had a lunch in the Vietnamese-Thai-Chinese restaurant in front of the Bakery. I ordered a Pad Thaï. I was so disappointed when after a so long wait, I’ve been served a plate of wet and slimy noodles! No color, no fragrance, no taste, no no no! I could not really tell what I had in my plate; fried eggs? Soybean? Shrimps?
After an attempt to eat with chopsticks I finally gave up and asked for a fork. The dish of my friend was not good either; some chunks of chicken and a few bamboo shoots was swimming in a red curry sauce and coconut milk cut with water. 

It was a so disappointing lunch and a so bad idea to stop by there. For sure we’ll never go back in this restaurant.

Later in the evening, I improvised a Chinese style dish because I was so frustrated. I still had ground meat and some cooked rice in the fridge… The Eggs and the Chinese condiments I bought the same day helped to do the job!    

Here is the result of a frustration and my version of Chinese style rice and ground meat:



Ingredients:

  •  500 gr cooked rice (preferably Thaï rice)
  • 350 gr ground meat (half ground beef and falf ground porc)
  • 2 eggs
  • 150 gr peas
  • 2 Chinese garlic stems (or a green oignon)
  • 2 Tbsp clear soy sauce
  • 1 Tbsp sweet soy sauce
  • 2 Tbsp canola oil

Method:

  
Finely chop the Chinese garlic or green onions (easier to find) if you don't have Chinese garlic.

Heat a tablespoon of oil in a wok preferably or a large saucepan.

Add the chopped garlic and ground meat. Remove the meat with a fork so it does not stick. Stir well. Make sure that the meat does not stick in the bottom of the pan.
Add the peas to the meat and stir gently.

Add the cooked rice and pour the clear soy sauce and sweet soy sauce in the preparation. Mix it gently. Taste and adjust the seasoning. You can add a little bit more sweet soy sauce if needed.

In a frying pan, heat a tablespoon of oil. Pour the eggs beaten and cook for a few second stirring.

Remove the Pan from the fire and scramble the eggs.

Gently mix the eggs with the rice and the meat.

Serve hot.

For a full meal you can serve with vegetables.
Enjoy!

From our last step of this culinary morning we brought small angels cakes. We bought them at the new parisian Tea Room CIEL, n°2 Monge Street. We chose Yuzu and Vanilla flavors. They were delicious. (I'll give soon a first opinion on the new tea room CIEL). Here are some pics of those yummy cakes.

























No comments:

Post a Comment